Dave and Nina Smith Family

Dave and Nina Smith Family

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Mom's Birthday Cruise

My sister and I decided to take my mother on a 5 day cruise for her 60th birthday this year. The plans were made when I was still living in Texas and so we chose to cruise from Galveston. Instead of being able to drive to the port, we all had to fly out, but it was still a great place to cruise from. We left on Monday and had a full day at sea. It was warm and sunny, a great change from Utah/Washington weather! We had a great room...a upgraded large balcony suite that was awesome. We spent a lot of our time on the deck and had the door open the entire cruise to hear the ocean and water and feel the breezes.We spent a lot of time relaxing, reading, sunning, and visiting. It was a lot of fun. We also spent time eating and changing clothes from swimsuits to clothes to dressy clothes to swimsuits to pajamas! We really enjoyed ourselves on the boat!

Wednesday night was the formal night in the dining room and we enjoyed getting all dressed up for our dinner. We had a great family with us at our table and enjoyed each night getting to know them. We also had a fantastic waiter who was entertaining and lovable. He had been working on the cruise ships for 7 years, 10 months a year straight with 2 months off. We hope our friends send us a copy of the picture we took the last night of all of us together.
Our first stop was in Progresso Mexico, which is a 4 mile long port on the Yukitan peninsula that has been built just so cruise ships can come there. The city of Merida is the actual city to visit there and we booked an excursion there called Salsa and Salsa, where we made 3 different kinds of salsa and learned some basic salsa dancing after a brief tour of Merida. It was a great excursion and we enjoyed our time there.
The next morning we awoke in Cozumel Mexico where we had booked another excursion of 3 reef snorkeling. I was nervous about snorkeling because the only time I had ever gone before was on my honeymoon in Cancun and I had gotten very sea sick. But I was prepared with my drugs (actually I took them the whole cruise) and was fine. It was really neat to sea the reefs and the fish that were in the crystal clear water in Cozumel.
The last night of the cruise Mom was sick so Vicky and I had a night by ourselves. We went to a horrible show that was so funny we were laughing outloud (only it wasn't a comedy). Then we took in some comedy and called it a night. We dressed up for dinner again that night just for fun!
All in all it was a fabulous vacation. We were prepared for a relaxing time and a no brainer vacation...which it was. It was a great time to visit and laugh and have the memory of sharing this time together!


1 comment:

Unknown said...

What an awesome thing to do for your mom. I bet she loved it!