Dave and Nina Smith Family
Wednesday, October 14, 2009
For That Rainy Day
After a few days of non-productive nothingness I decided to get busy and work on some food storage I have had ready to go for this month. I have been working hard this year to learn new ways of food storage and thanks to a Relief Society meeting at church I was inspired by some friends to do pressure cooker canning. I like the idea of storing all the food on the shelf and for long periods of time (1o+ years) if necessary. Once I get what as much as I want I also like the idea of using it and rotating it for easy meals. That being said I set off with all this before me:
My goal: Taco Soup, vacuum sealing whatever I had, and 10lbs of chicken breasts. It was an attainable goal and it progressed throughout the day. It's not that much work, it's just cooking and then waiting on the canner to do it's thing. The jars pressure cook in there for 90 minutes and you have to make sure your pressure doesn't drop or rise much so you have to "watch the pot". And the vacuum sealer has to be the easiest thing ever. Put in what you want, put the lid and contraption on and hit "canister" on the Foodsaver. Then it sounds like a helicopter taking off while it sucks all the air out of the container and you're done. My kind of easy. Today I did 2 half gallons of Golden Puffs, Fiber One bars. and 2 1/2 gallons of Chex Mix. All things I would want to have around "in the event of an emergency":
And making Taco Soup is one of my favorite meals anyways since it's essentially brown the meat and dump everything in....so easy. We like ours with Fritos and as leftovers we put the filling in tortillas for burritos of sorts. Yum:
And by the end of the day...here's the stuff all ready to be stored in the closet:
Now only 118 more pints of chicken...22 quarts of Taco Soup...countless 1/2 gallons of snacks...and enough cereal to literally sustain an army (since it's a main course in this house!!). Now I'm discouraged again...ughh.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Wow! I can't believe you did all that. And you're still sick, or partly anyhow.
Wow! That's impressive. I am not that ambitious.
Well, when you're done with yours, you can come on over and do mine! Looks yummy!
Truly I am impressed!
That vaccuum sealer looks so awesome. That such a great idea to store things you would actually want to eat. I'll have to look into that.
We would love to get together while you're here for Christmas! Let us know when you get into town.
I am impressed! Can you come and do that at my house? It would just be a short trip....
I love taco soup, too, but I'm the only one in my family that eats it, so I have leftovers for days!
Wow! That is so great. I need to get my act together and do some of that.
Wow Nina! i so appreciate the ideas and pics! Andrea
Post a Comment