Dave and Nina Smith Family

Dave and Nina Smith Family

Saturday, July 19, 2008

A right of passage







Ok, so every kids need to go to the zoo, right? At least once, and preferably once a year so you can remember having gone to the zoo "when you were a kid". Once may not cut it...and so I undertook the adventure of taking the kids to the zoo. Now I have in the past made the comment to David (after returning from a hectic day at the zoo), "If I ever say I'm taking the kids to the zoo, remind me not to!!". It doesn't work...I still feel obligated, no commanded, to take my children to the zoo. So yesterday I accepted an invitation from a friend to go to the zoo. She has a season pass and so it was a free adventure (minus the gas to get there). I'm a succor for a good deal and I only had McKinley and Evan since the other boys were finishing up their week long soccer camp.

So we prepared for the zoo. Stroller...check, snacks...check, water...check...camera...check. We're set!! We even had the talk, you know the one: "Now you HAVE to listen to mom and STAY WITH ME!!" I'm sure that will do the trick this time.

As you enter the zoo and venture in towards the animals it becomes increasingly unclear which are the animals and which are the children. There is something about the zoo that says you have to run to every exhibit, try to get the animals to do something, stay hydrated and cool in the 98 degree weather, and HAVE FUN. This trip was actually not too bad in the whole spectrum of zoo trips. We did have some fun moments and no one got lost or left behind as a donation. Who knows...I may even go there again someday.






No comments: